A long-standing powerhouse in providing legal and business/commercial/corporate advisory services out of Cambodia and Myanmar (since 1993), Sciaroni & Associates has announced the opening of its Laos office.
Daniel Noonan heads up the office. Daniel has been advising on foreign direct investment, mergers and acquisitions and commercial regulatory matters for the past 5 years. Prior to joining Sciaroni & Associates, Daniel had several years’ experience working for Baker & McKenzie in Vietnam. In Laos he worked for an international law firm advising investors entering the country as well as existing business operators. Daniel studied law in Chicago and in Tokyo and is admitted to the Bar in Illinois. He speaks English and conversational Japanese. Email: email@example.com
Since economic integration with ASEAN and the WTO, Laos has experienced strong economic development and has one of the region’s highest GDP growth forecasts for 2013. As a result, the country’s developing and increasingly diversifying economy offers unique business opportunities for investors.
Main Practice Areas
- Banking & Finance
- Corporate & Commercial
- Due Diligence
- Energy & Mining
- Property & Real Estate
Ranked tier 1 for General Business Law, Chambers Asia entry 2013 for Sciaroni & Associates:
‘This firm has a long and distinguished track record in advising foreign clients on their inbound investments. Commentators single out the team’s strong relationship with the government as one of its greatest strengths. It is particularly active in the areas of property development, agriculture, telecoms and mining’.
Examples of major projects in Laos our legal team has worked on;
- Key team member in drafting Lao law security document package and acted as local counsel for the US$2.7bn. Hongsa Mine Mouth Power Project – named 2010 Deal of the Year by Asian Counsel.
- Reviewed the compliance checklist and drafted resolution for approval by the National Assembly of Lao PDR for Hongsa Project (coal mining) of more than US$900m.
- Assisted with drafting legal opinion on the compliance of the Nam Theun 2 Project valued US$1.2bn.
- Provided legal counsel for the registration of Articles of Association and refinancing advice for the share transfer of an international telecoms company after an acquisition valued US$80m.
- Conducted due diligence, advised and drafted documents for a Lao commercial bank’s share transfer in favor of an Australian bank and assisted transforming the domestic bank into a joint venture bank.
- Conducted due diligence of the borrower in the US$20m. IFC loan to a Lao brewery.
- Provided local advice to global media platform on advertising, consumer protection, and data privacy
Sean Larkan, Edge International